New Zealand Institution and Courses

There are eight universities in New Zealand offering undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, all of which are public universities.

International students can also study at Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics which are state owned. The courses they offer are mainly vocational or skills based and range from certificate level up to postgraduate level.

In addition, there are Private Training Providers throughout New Zealand. These include private English language schools as well as private providers offering courses in a particular filed, e.g. business.

For listings and contact details of New Zealand education providers, visit the New Zealand Educated website


How to Apply

You will normally need to apply directly to your chosen education provider. Contact the institute or visit their website for more details on the procedure.

You may also be able to apply through a registered NZSA agent. You can find a list of accredited NZSA agents in your home country here country here.

For more information visit the Educated New Zealand Applying page.

Entry Requirements

Higher education providers in New Zealand have different entry requirements. To find out the entry requirements required for your course, contact the institution directly or check the international section of their website.

If you have an overseas qualification, the institution may advise you that it needs to be assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. You can visit the NZQA website for more information.


As an international student, if you are outside New Zealand and planning to come to New Zealand to study full time for more than three months you’ll need a student visa. To get a student visa you have to be enrolled in an approved course at an institution that has been accredited to offer that course.

For more information visit the Immigration New Zealand website

Working While Studying

If you’re studying a course longer than one year, you can work during the summer holidays and up to 20 hours a week during the academic year. You’ll need a ‘variation of conditions’ to your student permit. This is issued by Immigration New Zealand. A fee may apply.

These rules don’t apply if you’re a postgraduate student or need to get work experience in order to fulfil course requirements.

For more information visit the Immigration New Zealand website

Useful Links

New Zealand Educated Education New Zealand (ENZ) website promoting education in Ireland internationally

NZQA New Zealand Qualifications Authority website give information on qualifications in the New Zealand education system

Immigration New Zealand for information on visas and employment

English New Zealand represents a group of well-established, quality English language schools located throughout New Zealand

STA Travel the world’s largest student and young adult travel organisation

Recent New Zealand Student Profiles

No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.