UK Institution and Courses

There are a large number of universities in the UK. They offer undergraduate degrees and postgraduate study. An undergraduate degree is usually three years of study in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and four years in Scotland.

After completing undergraduate degrees, students can study for postgraduate certificates or diplomas, masters degrees and doctorates.

In the UK, there are also options for higher education qualifications at ‘pre-undergraduate’ level. These programs are usually d at higher education colleges. These options can be taken by students who wish to study for a shorter course that does not lead to a degree-level qualification, or want to take a course that prepares them for undergraduate study. Many of these courses are vocational, though academic options are also available. Qualifications that fall into this category include BTEC Higher National Certificates and Diplomas, Certificates and Diplomas of Higher Education and Foundation Degrees.

For more information visit the Education UK website–Higher-education/GB1262439485967

For international students that wish to learn English in the UK, there are a huge number of English Language Schools. The schools will often offer a package including tuition and accommodation.

Visit the English UK website for details on over 450 English language training providers, all accredited by the British Council


How to Apply

For undergraduate study you can apply online through the Universities and Colleges Admissions System (UCAS). Find out more about applying for undergraduate courses in the Education UK UCAS applications for UK study  section.

At postgraduate level many universities handle their own application process so you can contact them directly or visit their website. It is advisable to apply as early as possible.

Some institutions use the UK Postgraduate Application and Statistical Service (UKPASS) scheme. UKPASS allows you to apply for up to ten postgraduate programmes, track progress and receive and reply to offers. You can see which institutions are part of the scheme and find out more at the UKPASS website.


Entry Requirements

There is a very wide range of courses in the UK and if you don’t meet the requirements for a certain course, you may be able to take an alternative route by choosing another program at a different level and progress from there.

To take an undergraduate degree you’ll need to have taken pre-university qualifications equivalent to UK A-levels, Scottish Highers or National Diplomas. However, if you don’t have these you may still be able to aim for undergraduate study in the UK by taking a preparatory program first.

For more details as well as information on postgraduate study entry requirements and visit Education UK


Depending on your nationality, you may need a visa to study in the UK. There are a number of different UK visas for international students. The one you need depends on your age and the length and level of course that you want to study.

You can find out if you need a visa on the UK Border Agency website.

Working While Studying

As an international student in the UK you may be permitted to work while studying, however, it will depend on your immigration status.

To find out whether you are entitled to work and how many hours you can work each week, visit the UK Border Agency (UKBA) website.

Useful links

Education UK British Council website promoting study in the UK internationally

UK Border Agency (UKBA) website for information on visas and working

UCAS international help page Universities and Colleges Admissions System


UKPASS UK postgraduate application service

English UK accredited English language schools in the UK

STA Travel the world’s largest student and young adult travel organisation

International Student Insurance for information on student insurance in UK

Recent UK Student Profiles

No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.